a journey a destiny...

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Turbos

Whilst I was scouting for turbos like a couple of years ago on the net especially on worldwide infamous ordering webs, I found out that some turbo kits are cheaper than what I used to imagine. I mean, despite of the unknown brands, the infos of these turbo kits are promising with some car samples and dyno charts. You know, it's likely I would try one if I were to order it. See? How sometimes cheap prices do influence us to have one installed inside our engine bays haha.



(Sampe Pic Only)

In fact, a few friends also suggested me to order some replicas of TD06 or T70 due to the reasons that they are cheap and have aftermarket accessories for replacement. Today I was checking cheap turbo kits that I personally aimed if I have a turbo car to be rebuilt someday and in the same time, to make it clearer, I scouted for some forums or other sites that had these types of turbos to be reviewed. Well, it didnl't turn out like what I'd expected before; lots of car lovers (this is a forum mostly related to RB26DETT engine) loathed and disgusted with the outcomes of the turbos that I was targeting for an order...*ugh* Dude, that is not quite encouraging!!



(Sampe Pic Only)

Problems often related with cheap turbos are they are not properly balanced, the nuts and bolts are not properly placed unlike the branded ones. And the lifetime is maybe like about 10,000km and then you'll expect leaks and smokes and unfortunately, it could damage your engine that in the end, you have to rebuild it again (if you'd rebuilt it before though). And like, if these kinda turbos are repaired, it would only last fewer than 10,000km and it begins to leak again. So I think there's no point of buying cheap unknown turbos if it is meant to destroy your engines, right? Some say to maintain these kinda turbos for a longer usage, just minimize the boost so that the turbos won't pressure that much. Like, hmmm...what's the point of having upgraded turbos if they can only be used in low boost? =.='

Whatever the decisions you choose, choose it wisely depending on your budgets. Maybe we can go for cheaper turbos that have repair kits but if you have no problem with money, let's try turbos with big brands. And like a good friend of mine once said, go for journal bearing turbo instead of ball bearing cuz it will cost you like buying a new one when you're thinking about repairing a ball bearing turbo :)
"Ado-ado gala eh!!"

Aslan (I'm still dreaming of having a GReddy TD06L2 20G turbo at da moment!!)

Labels: ,

posted by Lan13 at 3:57 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home